What are the most essential things to pack for a trek?
What things to pack for a trek? Before the start of the trek, we are always confused about the things that we need to pack and carry things that we most probably won’t even use a single time during the trek. Many times, I have also packed unnecessary things while leaving out some of the important stuff. I have listed the important things that you should pack if you are traveling or trekking in Nepal, which will be helpful for you when you are traveling any terrain in Nepal. Following are the things that would help you when you are traveling or trekking mostly in the hilly areas of Nepal.
My suggestion for wearables is to wear bright and colorful clothes and covers. It will help for visibility from far away and identify your friends from their clothes. I usually use Yellow, Red, Maroon, etc colors for better visibility. Following is the list of wearables.
- Trekking bag with good shoulder support, padding, and enough pockets.
- Fanny pack (Waist bag/Belt bag) for immediate supply needs.
- T-shirts (You can pack 1 Tshirt for 2 days. Full sleeves recommended)
- Trousers (It’s better if they can be converted into half pants too)
- Half pants (Easy and lightweight half pants. Don’t carry them if it’s too tight)
- Jacket and hoodie (Waterproof jacket with hoodie or sweatshirt)
- Trekking Boots with good grip and good cushioning. Waterproofing will be an added advantage.
- Cap and winter hat
- Dry bags to keep wet clothes soaked or to keep the clothes warm even if the bag is soaked.
- Sleeping bag
- Lightweight water bottle – 1 Litre.
- Water purifier (Liquid or tablets are available)
- Sunglasses as snow reflection will be crazy when there is fresh snow
- Headlamp or torch light
- Powerbank, phone charger, converter
- Crampons if you expect snowfall
- Headphones or earphones for good music
- Small speakers – Only carry them if you can
- Glucose and electrolytes
- Sunscreen and moisturizer
- Hand sanitizer
- Small hand towel
- Toiletries (Toothpaste, brush, toilet paper, wipes, etc.)
- Any special needs that you have
- Lip balm or chapstick
- Whistle for any rescue needs
- Bungee chords
- Reflective bright backpack cover
- Trekking stick or regular stick that you can find on your way
- First aid kit including medicine for altitude sickness
- Identification document
These are just the basic recommendations; it is always better to add and remove things as per your preference to make sure that you don’t miss out on things that you need. For the best trekking experience, there are certain mistakes you should avoid while trekking like overpacking and not pre-booking for accommodation. With the mistakes avoided and the requirements needed in a trekking bag, one can enjoy the trek to the fullest. Happy Traveling!